About the School:
Assumption Jr/Sr High School is one of seven schools within Lakeland Catholic School District No. 150. The school serves students in grades 7 through 12 in the community of Cold Lake, Alberta, and offers both English and French Immersion programming.
The school’s name comes from the very important feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Mary, mother of Jesus, plays a significant role in the life of the Catholic Church. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
967 By her complete adherence to the Father’s will, to his Son’s redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirity, the Virgin Mary is the Church’s model of faith and charity. Thus she is a “preeminent and…wholly unique member of the Church”; indeed, she is the “exemplary realization (typus) 510 of the Church.
The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven is defined dogma within the Catholic Church. It is celebrated every year on August 15 and commemorates the death of Mary and her bodily assumption into Heaven. The Feast of the Assumption is considered the most important of all Marian feasts and a holy day of obligation.
“Loving to learn and learning to love”
Assumption Jr/Sr High School is a faith-based family committed to academic excellence and citizenship within a mutually respectful environment.
- The primary purpose of Assumption School is to:
- Develop the whole child – spiritually, academically, emotionally, physically, and socially and ensure each individual identity is maintained.
- Provide high quality teaching and learning opportunities within a safe and caring environment.
- Develop responsible and contributing citizens who are moral, caring as well as spiritually and socially aware.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and values our students need to succeed. These attributes include, but are not limited to: self-discipline, teamwork, self-control, coping skills, respectfulness, responsibility and creative thinking.
- Develop lifelong learners who are independent and critical thinkers who are prepared to face the future.
- Develop a rich faith community within our school.
- Create a learning community where “everyone loves to learn and learns to love”.
n)(pro concertQuick Facts:
- Approximately 550 students.
- 32 teaching staff and 15 support staff.
- Full academic program offering courses for the University preparation sequence, college and trade school sequence, and high school completion sequence.
- Two programs are offered: English and French Immersion.
- Students can also choose to take the French as a Second Language option.
- Religion courses are mandatory at every grade level.
- Full athletic program offering grade 7/8 teams, grade 9/10 teams and grade 10/11/12 teams.
- Leadership opportunities available in many facets including through students’ union and youth liturgical leadership (YLL)
- Excellent award-winning fine arts program including: art class which provides training in several mediums, provincial award-winning concert band at all grade levels, (with the possibility of jazz band if there is enough interest), drama class, and the potential of an annual drama/musical production.
- Extensive CTS opportunities including: Communication Technology, Industrial Arts, Foods, Sport Medicine, Early Learning and Childhood Care, and Medical Sciences Technology.